During the winter months, many of us like to light candles and enjoy the warm and soothing (or romantic) atmosphere that they create. Candles are traditionally made from paraffin, which is the sludge left at the bottom of crude oil barrels after it has been treated and bleached with chemical solvents. Burning paraffin candles releases toxins and carcinogens, as well as soot and smoke. Perfumes and artificial fragrances are then added to over the smell of burning petrochemicals. These perfumes and fragrances are also often toxic.
Beeswax candles are a great alternative to paraffin candles. They have a wonderful natural scent (like honey) and burn without creating soot (unlike traditional candles). Beeswax is free from toxins and carcinogens and burns at a higher temperature than paraffin (so it lasts longer). Burning beeswax candles releases negative ions into the air, which helps combat mold, dust, bacteria, viruses, and other pollutants. Just make sure that your candles are 100% beeswax in order to enjoy all these wonderful benefits.